Introduction to the blog...

Hi, my name's Toby Wildgoose. I'm a 20 year old who's obsessed by sport, so much so, that I am looking to become a sports journalist/media officer in later life.

I've set up this blog not only so that I can improve and refine my writing skills, but also to provide a platform for potential employers to view my work.

I have already developed a small portfolio of my work, with my experience in the industry including: written match reports for junior football teams, published work at numerous EFL clubs in a variety of formats, and work experience placements at Chesterfield FC and Rotherham United Community Sports Trust - to see my full portfolio click here:

I hope to post as often as possible on this blog about anything that is sport related. Please find the time to read any of my posts.

Any comments or suggestions on how I can improve the blog would be greatly appreciated, and I would also be happy to receive any other suggestions for work experience. Please comment on here, email me (, or even tweet me (@TobyWildgoose). Cheers!

Start Date: 11/12/12 (Aged 15)

Monday, 27 January 2014

Match Report: Rotherham United 2-2 Crawley Town

On Saturday 25th January 2014, I went to the New York Stadium to see Rotherham United take on Crawley Town in SkyBet League One.

This was only my second match of the New Year, and I was looking forward to it having seen the Millers beat Crewe just two weeks before. It had been a mixed start for Rotherham at home in 2014, with a loss and a win helping to leave the Millers fifth in the league table.

The game promised extra spice with the fact that current Millers boss, Steve Evans, had previously left Crawley to take up the Rotherham hot seat in 2012, a decision that proved unpopular with Red Devils fans. A positive for the Crawley faithful though, was the return of star-striker Matt Tubbs, who had recently left Rotherham after a tough loan spell.

Rotherham United secured a valuable point in the fight for play-off spots after twice coming from behind to draw 2-2 with Crawley Town at the New York Stadium.

Kieran Agard struck twice in an entertaining encounter and earned the Millers a point with a last gasp equaliser in the final minute of added time.  

Ex-Crawley boss, Steve Evans, made two changes to the Millers side that had seen off Shrewsbury Town 3-0, with the most notable change coming in the form of the return of Kari Arnason to the centre of defence, which also meant a drop to the bench for Mark Bradley.

Middlesbrough loanee Richard Smallwood, who signed on Thursday, took his place in the starting line-up at the expense of Captain Lee Frecklington, who was later confirmed to have been missing with a hamstring injury.

The first chance of the game came in just the second minute when Ben Pringle won the Millers a corner after some good build up play on the edge of the box. The 24-year-old then curled a brilliant corner into the heart of the Crawley area, but Kari Arnason's powerful header fired just wide of Paul Jones' goal. 

The Millers continued to push forward and another chance followed just minutes later. A neat passing move on the edge of the Red Devils' box allowed Alex Revell to turn and shoot, but the forward's effort settled comfortably in the palms of 'keeper Jones.

Moments later, the home side again came close to taking the lead, this time through Kieran Agard. The Millers' forward raced past the Crawley defence only to see his shot deflect into the path of Revell, who was later flagged as offside.

Despite Rotherham's numerous early chances and continued pressure, it was in fact Crawley who took the lead in the 24th minute when ex-Miller Matt Tubbs came back to haunt his former club.

After a curling ball was played across the box by Crawley midfielder Nicky Adams, Rotherham 'keeper Adam Collin's save was parried directly into the path of the on-rushing Tubbs, who subsequently slotted home for the first goal of his second spell at the Red Devils.

The first yellow card of the game was awarded not long after the goal when Miles Addison tackled goal scorer Matt Tubbs from behind, much to the anger of the travelling support. The referee was left with little choice but to brandish the yellow card and award a free-kick just short of the halfway line.

It didn't take long for the Millers to draw level though, and after 33 minutes a penalty was awarded.

Ex-Derby winger Ben Pringle forced his way into the box, with his pace proving too much to handle for Crawley midfielder Joe Walsh who consequently brought Pringle down. The penalty was awarded and Rotherham top scorer Kieran Agard stepped up to slot home and draw the game level at 1-1.

A number of chances followed for the hosts after the goal, with Richard Smallwood and Kari Arnason both coming close, but it wasn't to be and the sides went into the break on level terms.

Half-time: Rotherham United 1-1 Crawley Town

The first chance of the second-half fell to the visitors when a Nicky Adams corner eventually dropped for Mark Connolly. The Crawley man controlled the ball well, but fired just wide of the target with a tantalising volley from just outside the box.

The pressure only continued to build on the hosts, and in the 58th minute, Crawley missed a fantastic chance to regain the lead as Billy Clarke fired a tame shot directly into the hands of Collin.

Crawley did regain the lead just after the hour mark though.

Adams, who had been the catalyst for much of the visitor's attacking play, picked up the ball on the wing before cutting inside to create some space for Matt Tubbs in the box. The striker then played an audacious flick into the path of Josh Simpson who calmly slid home to guide Crawley back into the lead.

Minutes later, Crawley had the chance to seal the game when Mike Jones and goal scorer Simpson combined well to create an opening in the Millers' defence, but the chance went begging and Jones fired into the side of the net, keeping the home side in the game.

Tubbs was then involved again in the 85th minute when his clever flick created space for Simpson, but the Crawley man fired over the bar from distance.

The game appeared to be slipping away from Rotherham, however, deep into injury time the Millers secured a crucial point in the fight for promotion. After Ben Pringle's curling cross had caused trouble in the Crawley penalty area, the ball was knocked into Paul Jones before bouncing invitingly for Agard to hit home and send the home fans into wild celebrations.

There would be one last chance for Crawley to claim all three points though when the ball fell first to Gary Alexander, then Andy Drury, and finally Billy Clarke, but the Red Devils couldn't find a way past Adam Collin whose triple save ensured a share of the spoils for the hosts.

Full-time: Rotherham United 2-2 Crawley Town

Rotherham: Collin, Tavernier, Arnason, Skarz, Agard, Smallwood (O’Connor 72), Milsom, Pringle, Revell (Thomas 46), Hitchcock (Vuckic 53)

Unused: Shearer, Brindley, Davis, Bradley

Crawley: P Jones, Sadler, Connolly, McFadzean, Clarke, Drury, Simpson (Dicker 90), Walsh, Adams, Tubbs (Alexander 90), M Jones

Unused: Essam, Torres, Proctor, Malins, Maddison

 Attendance: 7579 (201)

 The Crawley players warm up.

 The officials warm up.

 The players line up and shake hands.


 Kieran Agard levels from the spot.

 Crawley players celebrate retaking the lead.

 The travelling support.

 Full-time: Rotherham United 2-2 Crawley Town

No comments :

Post a Comment