Introduction to the blog...

Hi, my name's Toby Wildgoose. I'm a 20 year old who's obsessed by sport, so much so, that I am looking to become a sports journalist/media officer in later life.

I've set up this blog not only so that I can improve and refine my writing skills, but also to provide a platform for potential employers to view my work.

I have already developed a small portfolio of my work, with my experience in the industry including: written match reports for junior football teams, published work at numerous EFL clubs in a variety of formats, and work experience placements at Chesterfield FC and Rotherham United Community Sports Trust - to see my full portfolio click here:

I hope to post as often as possible on this blog about anything that is sport related. Please find the time to read any of my posts.

Any comments or suggestions on how I can improve the blog would be greatly appreciated, and I would also be happy to receive any other suggestions for work experience. Please comment on here, email me (, or even tweet me (@TobyWildgoose). Cheers!

Start Date: 11/12/12 (Aged 15)

Sunday, 14 April 2013

Match Report: Rotherham United 2-1 Fleetwood Town

Rotherham United secured a second consecutive win after Kieran Agard’s 62nd minute goal was enough to sink the seasiders of Fleetwood Town.

Daniel Nardiello opened the scoring with his 19th goal of the season before Fleetwood's David Ball equalised after six minutes had been played. The game would be decided on the hour mark though, when Ben Pringle’s shot was deflected into the path of Agard who simply couldn’t miss.

After the 4-1 demolition of Exeter City on Tuesday, Steve Evans stuck with almost the same starting eleven to face Fleetwood. He did, however, make one change with Dale Tonge making way for the recently suspended Johnny Mullins who would once again take up the captain’s armband.

The first goal of the game came in just the third minute when an attempted clearance from the Cod Army’s ‘keeper fell straight to Daniel Nardiello who skilfully controlled the ball before volleying past the outstretched hand of Scott Davies. The ball settled into the bottom left corner of the net to the crowd’s delight, however, the number 17’s celebrations were muted as a late tackle from a Fleetwood defender left the Millers’ talisman injured.

Fleetwood’s first opportunity of the game came just a minute after the opening goal, when Junior Brown took on a tame shot that settled into the palms of Scott Shearer. This would, however, prove not to be Brown’s only involvement in the game.

With six minutes gone, ex-Miller Gareth Evans proved too much to handle for Kari Arnason, and after beating the Iceland international for pace, Evans proceeded to play a dangerous ball across the box. The cross fell to Junior Brown who, for the second time, fluffed his lines. The Millers, however, failed to clear the danger and David Ball calmly stroked home from the penalty spot to level the score at 1-1.

Following the Cod Army’s celebrations, Daniel Nardiello was substituted and replaced by Lee Frecklington, who took his position in the centre of midfield. This also meant that Kieran Agard was to be pushed up top to play alongside Alex Revell.

The visitors now had the momentum behind them and a number of chances soon followed. The first of which coming immediately after the goal, with another David Ball effort seeing the Millers’ defence all at sea, however, the danger was eventually cleared.

The next Fleetwood chance came directly from a corner when Gareth Evans whipped the ball across the box only to see his effort thwarted by the Millers ‘keeper Scott Shearer.

The first yellow card of the game went the Cod Army’s way in the 27th minute, when Jamie McGuire unfairly challenged Michael O’Connor deep in the Millers’ half to concede a free-kick. The kick was taken by Shearer and, resulting from the following run of play, Kieran Agard fired just wide of the target.

In the 34th minute a free-kick was awarded when Lee Frecklington angrily brought down Jamie McGuire. Ex-Miller Gareth Evans once again stepped up for the set piece, however, he failed to trouble the Rotherham number one and his shot fired over the bar.

The Millers’ chance to challenge from a set piece came in the 42nd minute when Michael O’Connor was brought down by Paul McKenna in a dangerous area. The Northern Irishman pulled himself up only to see his menacing strike fire just past the post.

With half-time now only minutes away, the Millers would have once last chance to score a second goal before the break. The chance fell to Ben Pringle when a Kari Arnason throw-in evaded the majority of the Fleetwood defence. However, the Rotherham number 15 fired high over the crossbar to see the scores level at half-time.

Half-time: Rotherham United 1 -1 Fleetwood Town

After the break, the Rotherham dominance became clear to see and following a chance for Junior Brown the Millers began to push forward. Appeals for a penalty were soon waved away when Alex Revell fell to the ground after being tripped by Jamille Matt in the early stages of the second-half.

Michael O’Connor then had two chances to score the Millers’ second, however, both of his right-footed strikes flew harmlessly over the bar much to the home fans’ disappointment. Millers’ fans were soon cursing their luck again as Alex Revell’s toe-pocked shot rolled just past the post after Shaun Beeley’s backwards header left Fleetwood ‘keeper Scott Davies stranded.

Then, in the 61st minute, Johnny Mullins tried his luck with a looping header from a Ben Pringle cross. However, his effort was once again cleared off the line leaving the Millers players bemused as to how they hadn’t scored a second.

The winner came just a minute later when Ben Pringle’s shot was deflected into the path of Kieran Agard, who took a touch before hammering home his third league goal of the season to secure a crucial three points.

The Millers didn’t sit back after the goal though, and went close to a third on a number of occasions. In the 65th minute Lee Frecklington’s right footed shot was cleared off the line before Kari Arnason went close with a header from an inswinging O’Connor cross.

Despite the chances, the third goal never quite came and the Cod Army almost shocked the Millers faithful with a speedy counter attack in the 84th minute. Andrew Mangan created space for himself before shooting juts wide into the side netting.

Full-time: Rotherham United 2 -1 Fleetwood Town

Rotherham: Shearer, Mullins, Arnason, Morgan, Skarz, Agard (Ainsworth 84), O’Connor, Noble, Pringle, Revell (Odejayi 90+1), Nardiello (Frecklington 8)

Unused: Warrington, Tonge, Davis, Ridehalgh

Fleetwood: Davies, Beeley (Nicholson 83), Matt, Brown, Goodall, McLaughlin, McGuire (Fountaine 90), Ball, Edwards, Evans (Mangan 76), McKenna

Unused: Lucas, Barry, Crowther, Atkinson

Attendance: 7360 (201)

No comments :

Post a Comment